Be part of a unique and life-changing experience. Enjoy the warm family and community-oriented environment provided by the Cambodian people and their expert potters.
Windmill Pottery is offering a unique experience with traditional Khmer Potters in Cambodia. We offer tourists from around the globe (no pottery experience required) the opportunity of living and working with Khmer potters using their traditional methods as part of a village stay in Andong Reussey. The village is the last centre of traditionally made Khmer pottery and is located at the foot of Phnom Krang Dei Meas, a mountain from which they source their clay. Located halfway between Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat, the area is noted, not only for its pottery, but also the Floating Village on the Tonle Sap River and the Bamboo Village
We aim to facilitate social and cultural interaction between our clients and the Cambodian people through a traditional approach to clay pot making. In this residency, you will not be just an observer. You will learn the Khmer way of creating pottery and share an inside view of your hosts' lives; discovering the aspects of life that mean most to the Khmers; their loves, joys, and imperatives.
Cambodian pottery in this environment is utilitarian and functional, while still being crafted decoratively, and for centuries was an essential part of trade between the country and its neighbours.
The cost quoted include guest accommodation in a traditional though newly constructed guesthouse at highly competitive prices. Twin share or Double will be available at less than $105AUS ($75USD)/per night/person and will include breakfast, lessons in Khmer pottery techniques and free travel around the village. All other meals will be available in western or Khmer cuisine at local prices.
Conditions & Experiences (depending on length of stay):
- Minimum stay, two nights
- Tuk Tuk service available for travel to Kampong Chhnang City and other local venues and sights (own cost - maximum $25USD/day)
- Residency in a tranquil guesthouse environment
- Breakfast included (choice of Western or Khmer cuisine)
- 2 hours/day tuition under the guidance of traditional Khmer potters
- Experience or Build a traditional firing pyre (season and length of stay depending)
- Learn how to knead, throw & purl clay the Khmer way
- Week Residencies get a guided tour to the clay diggings and enjoy preparing freshly dug clay
- Watch a treadle Potter’s wheel construction in progress
- Shop at the Kampong Chhnang night market
- Tour village potters at work and visit a Buddhist temple
- Enjoy evening meals in a Cambodian thatched spindle (shelter) with lessons in Khmer language
- Attend traditional ceremonies and chat with the locals
To register your interest, please Contact Us. and we will contact you when all restrictions are lifted and the residency is ready to commence.
You can register your interest by contacting us and we will discuss your options. Our Cambodian office number is +855 99 743 283
Residencies without accommodation are also available as travel restrictions are lifted. Simply let us know in "contacts" which month you would like to attend one of these unique Residencies and we will get back to you with availability and costs.